Bitcoin is the first decentralized peer-to-peer cryptocurrency and also the first successful application of blockchain technology. On October 31st, 2008, Satoshi Nakamoto published a whitepaper named Bitcoin: A Peer-to-Peer Electronic Cash System. On January 3rd, 2009, the first Bitcoin block was generated. Bitcoin uses SHA-256 algorithm and has a supply of 21 million, and current block reward is 6.25 BTC+Package transaction fee.
Now we can use the following miners to mine Bitcoin, including Bitmain Antminer S17, S15, T17, T15, S9, T9+..., Whatsminer M20, M10, M3..., Innosilicon T3, T2..., AvalonMiner A921, A821, A741..., Ebit E11, E9... etc. For more details of miner hashrate, power consumption, Break-even point and so on, please visit Poolin website, www.poolin.com.
*Screenshot taken on Jan. 22th, 2021
Here we will take Bitmain Antminer S9 as an example to introduce how to set up the miner and start to mine Bitcoin.
What You Need to Know before Using Miners:
1. PSU output power is recommended to be 20% higher than the power consumption of miner;
2. The router or network switch you are using to get connected with miners shall be ones without POE;
3. Miners can only be connected to router or network switch with wired connection;
4. Recommended operation temperature: 10-35 °C;
5. Recommended operation humidity: <65%;
6. Measures shall be taken to protect miners from dust, cax or so, otherwise hashrate board may be in corrosion and heat may fail to be dissipated;
7. Google or FireFox browsers are recommended to signin miner backend.
Before setting up Bitmain Antminer S9, you need to make sure whether everything is ok and ready.
Tools needed: PSU, PSU power cable, miner, network cable, a personal computer for operation
A: Check the Miner
1. Package inspection. After receiving a new miner, please make a package inspection first to check whether the package or the miner inside is damaged. If yes, please take photos and contact customer service of miner producer;
2. Miner inspection. Please take miner out from package and then check whether there's deformation or damage in miner, fan, cable, fan cable etc. If yes, please take photos and contact customer service of miner producer;
3. Heat sink inspection. Inspect from both the front and back fans to check whether heat sink is disconnected. If yes, please take photos and contact customer service of miner producer;
Note: as computing boards are put in card slot chassis, you may hear some sounds by shaking the miner, which is a normal phenomenon. And don't worry about it.
B: a tool to locate miner IP, IP reporter
D: pool website, visit https://www.poolin.com/ and register an account
how to register an account in Poolin.com mining pool: https://help.poolin.com/hc/en-us/articles/115003917412
how to create a sub-account: https://help.poolin.com/hc/en-us/articles/115003917532
how to manage sub-account: https://help.poolin.com/hc/en-us/articles/115003906291
- BTC website：https://bitcoin.org/zh_CN/
- BTC blockchain explorer: https://btc.com
- BTC wallet: Poolin Wallet
- BTC exchange:
MINER BUTTON INTRODUCTION
You can use IP Report software to get IP address of the miner by press this button
wire network connection
alarm light flashes when the miner is in fault
the light flashes when the miner is working normally
you can pin this button to reset the miner
SD card slot
MINER CABLE CONNECTION
1. Cable connection of hash board: Antminer S9 has three hash boards and each board has 3 PCIE intefaces, and each shall be connected with a 12V PSU cable, in total 9 pieces of 12V PSU cable.
Note: there's no difference in using which cable to connect with which interface. Just keep in mind to plug it in with right direction, namely the direction of buckle. If errorly operated, hash board may encounter short circuit and damage. After plotted those cables, you need to double check if the cable is loose or not fully inserted.
2. Cable connection of control board: there's one PCIe interface in control board and you just need to insert one 12V PSU cable.
Note: there's no difference in using which cable to connect with which interface. Just keep in mind to plug it in with right direction, namely the direction of buckle. If errorly operated, hash board may encounter short circuit and damage. After pluging those cables, you need to double check if the cable is loose or not fully inserted.
3. Network connection: plug in networking cable as follows.
4. Fan connection. Check whether the plug of fan cable has been fully or tightly connected. Each fan is connected to control board with one plug.
LOCATE MINER IP
After the miner is fully equipped and set up, the first thing you need to do is locate miner IP.
Method One: Get IP through IP Reporter software
1) Download IP Reporter or other similar softwares from miner producer's website;
2) Run the software and click "start";
3) Press IP Report button for about 1 second;
4) The software will show the IP address of the miner you are operating.
Method Two: get IP address from router
1) Sign in router management page (usually it's an IP address that you can find in router instruction or label) and then you can see equipments that are connected to this router.
2) Figure out the miner you are operating according to its name or the time it's connected to router and then you will know the IP address of the miner.
After getting miner IP, you can start to configure the miner. Use a computer that is connected to the same router as the miner, and type the IP address of the miner in the computer browser address bar and press "enter" to continue.
1) There will be a pop-up page that requires you to enter username and password of the miner.
Default username and password are both root.
2) After signing in, click Miner Configuration and then General Settings and then enter the following three urls to URL respectively.
The miner will connect to pool 1 by default and then pool 2/pool 3 if it fails to connect to pool 1.
Worker: worker is a combination of the sub-account you've registered in Poolin.com, a dot and a miner ID that is used to name the worker. (You need to enter sub-account here, but not the wallet address you use to collect payment. You shall log into Poolin.com to set wallet address so that you can get your mining profit daily.)
Password: any password is ok
3) Click Save&Apply to start the miner.
4) The miner will start to work after a few seconds. You can go to Miner Status page to check details and performance.
1: Miner Status, details of miner performance can be checked here;
2: Elapsed, it shows the time that the miner has been running. The number will be cleared to 0 after rebooting;
3: GH/S(RT), real time hashrate, usually the hashrate of 5 seconds. This hashrate differs from the real time hashrate in pool as real time hashrate in pool is a hashrate data of last 15 minutes;
4: GH/S(avg), average hashrate during the whole Elapsed time. This hashrate differs from pool 24H hashrate because of different statistical range;
5: URL, pool mining address;
6: User, namely worker in configuration page, shall be in the form of sub-account.minerid;
7: Status, the normal status shall be Alive;
8: Accepted, number of accepted shares that the miner has submitted to pool;
9: DiffA#, error rate;
10: Rejected, number of rejected shares that the miner has submitted to pool;
11: LSTime, this shows how many hours/minutes/seconds ago the miner had the last connection with pool. Usually the value shall be less than 1 minute;
12: HW, hardware error. Too many hardware error will result in losses in hashrate;
13: Temp(Chip2), the temperature of chips. Generally the temperature shall be lower than 90-100ºC. Higher temperature may result in reboot or system failure;
14: ASIC status. Those marked with ooo are normal ASIC while those marked with XXX are in mal-function.
5) After checking miner performance in Miner Status page, you shall also need to login pool site or application to check real time hashrate and number of active workers. There are cases that customers mistakenly set wrong mining url or sub-account, which resulted in mining profit losses.
6) Set withdrawal address. Your mining profit will be paid to the withdrawal address you set in pool. Payment is made once a day at around 2:00-4:00 UTC for the mining profit of the previous UTC day.
You can click "Sub-account Manage", "Setting", "Modify Address" to set your wallet address.
【Frequently Asked Questions】
1. How to change miner login password
2. How to upgrade miner firmware?
Please ensure the miner will not be disconnected from power supply and network during this process.
3. How to check the status of network connection?
1) Option One: Click "Network" and then "Diagnostics", enter pool mining url, namely btc.ss.poolin.com, and then click "Ping" to check whether the miner can be connected to pool smoothly.
The smaller the value of time, the better the network is.
2) Option Two: Open a command line interface in a computer that is under the same network connection with the miner and then type in ping btc.ss.poolin.com -t. After press enter button, you will get the network speed performance data.
ping btc.ss.poolin.com -t
The normal network speed is around 100ms.
4. How to change the IP address of a miner?
We can use a computer to log into a miner only when the miner and the computer are under the same network IP range. If not, we need to change the miner's IP to one we need.
1) Log into router, click LAN setting and then change the IP address to one that are same with the miner's IP range;
2) Restart router and then log into miner network setting page to change the IP address to one you need.
3) Go to LAN setting of the router again and change its IP range back.
5. How to reboot a miner?
Click reboot and then the miner will be rebooted.
6. How to reset the miner?
1）Reset through miner backend
2）Reset through physical button in miner (the operation needs to be done within 2-10 minutes after a miner is started, applicable to all Antminer except G1 and G2)
Cut the power supply of the miner and then re-connect with power supply. Press "Reset" button for about 5 seconds after the miner starts to run. Then the miner will be reset within 4 minutes and reboot automatically.
Please contact us if you have further questions.
Our email: email@example.com